Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Stuck in OverDrive

I hit a snag with this thing when I found out that CCPL computers are not authorized to download from Overdrive or NetLibrary. I was also a little frustrated by the tutorial on the Overdrive website. The first direction tells you to go to the homepage of "my digital library" and shows a web page with that title. I assumed this was the name of a website and spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to get to it.

Luckily a co-worker took pity on me and explained that I should go to CCPL's website, click on the EBooks link, and then I saw the Overdrive link referred to in the tutorial. All of that just to find out that I couldn't get access to it after all.

I spent some time looking through the catalog on Project Gutenburg. Most of the authors and/or titles that I searched for are not included. It seems to be mostly classics or scholarly works. I was surprised for example that "To Kill a Mockingbird" wasn't included.

At this point I feel a little dubious about how useful this tool would be for me personally or professionally.

1 comment:

Gail Griffith said...

Sorry your experience with Overdrive was so frustrating! And as for Project Gutenberg, only copyright-free works are included. (That explains the absence of a lot of classics you'd like to read.)